-Disposable|Heroes-

inside a whale since 2003.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 8:54 am 

IGNs: Daymon, Damien
Does anyone have neverwinter nights 2? How does it run for you?

I ask because I'm having a terrible time getting it to run on anything but low settings, and even then it's choppy. I have an intel dual core 2.6ghz processor and a geforce 8800 graphics card. Currently my game is something like version 1.12, I see there is a 1.2 patch but Im not going to download if that doesnt fix performance issues.

Any suggestions on getting it to run better? I currently have all graphics card fancy-settings turned off, and games settings at like medium-low with anti-aliasing off. I'd say im getting 20-30fps though I wish there was some way to check it.

And more importantly, does the game suck? If it's not a great game there's many other games I can waste time with.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 10:25 am 
Maiden of many mules

I think it has been 2 years or so since I played Neverwinter Nights 2. It's not a bad game at all, it's not as good as the first one though. It's also a bit short too. There was some things in the game that really bothered me, one was the Alignment part. My main character was bard and it was very hard to avoid being Lawful good and the moment you become Lawful in alignment, you can't progress in levels as a bard - so I was forced to pick a multiclass, I guess I could have started over from the beginning again ;<.< I do however think they fixed that issue, I know my big brother had the same issue, because he wanted to be Lawful evil and I don't think he could get it.

Also you need to be smart when building your character, it really matters how you build it ;x It's not an easy game to play, but if you have played the first one or Baldur's gate series, you will know what to expect of the gameplay :)

Also this game is fun to play over LAN or internet if you can do that. I used to play Neverwinter nights with my brothers over LAN.

Also I had issues with the graphics, I remember updating my graphic card driver to make it look good. You may want to check what version of Direct X you have as well, and maybe consider downloading the patch, since it may fix some annoying bugs in the game ;X

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:42 am 

all patched, took 2 nights on dialup (78mb in 6.5 hours last night XD). Updated graphics card drivers too, ready to try it again tonight.

I did play and like baldurs gate1(maybe 60 hours, didnt beat), bg2 I had but never got far in. Even had ice windale 1 and 2 but never got to those either. Then i have neverwinter nights1 but didnt get it till recently (well recently as in last 2 years sometime) and I have trouble getting that one to run correctly too, have to turn off one of my processor cores to get it to start up.

I like biowares games, well jury is still out on mass effect, but I follow them/buy most. I'm never as impressed with obsidian and their engine-hijacking sequels to biowares games but some have been decent (star wars kotor 2). neverwinter 2 Ive never done more than just walk outside of you 'foster fathers' house and mess around with the graphics settings, at this point for games to play Ive got DS games, oblivion, fable2, mass effect, fallout3, and persona3 to play really.. so that's what neverwinter is up against for holding my interest.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:18 am 
Maiden of many mules

BG2 was the best out of the Baldur's gate series D: You should really consider taking it up!

Sounds like you are playing a bit too many games at once :p I never played those games you mentioned, they never really spoke to my interest hehe. Icewind Dale was very hard compared to the Baldur's gate series or at least it is in my opinion. Not sure if Neverwinter Nights 2 could keep your attention, it sort of doesn't seem like your type of games?

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:28 am 

All im playing right now is dragon quest 4, just doing the optional boss, almost done. The games I listed up there are just ones I've been planning on playing someday. I have this years old list of 'games to play' that I've either never started or dropped after 10 hours because I got readdicted to ffxi, it's been going on for 5 years.

My type of game is really anything that's an rpg and doesnt have a ton of technical problems or score like a 6.0 on every review website. Im not really keen on realtime battle systems (tales games, valkryie profile, etc) or fps battle systems in rpgs like fallout3, oblvion, and mass effect have either, but I'll try them.