All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:24 pm 
Tarutaru Murder Suspect

IGNs: Floressa, Yururu, Cheetah, Donorise
Could Microsoft be in trouble?
http://news.zdnet.co.uk wrote:
Erica Ogg CNET News.com
Published: 15 Sep 2008 10:44 BST

HP is reportedly considering building an alternative operating system to Microsoft Windows, based on Linux.

An article appearing in BusinessWeek this week cites anonymous sources who say HP is at least looking into it. "Sources say employees in HP's PC division are exploring the possibility of building a mass-market operating system," the article states.

The operating system would reportedly be Linux-based, but would be tweaked to be more accessible to mainstream users. Those same sources say it's part of an HP plan to become less dependent on Windows, and to compete with Apple for the same type of user who would consider a Mac, which has its own operating system on its computers touted as more user-friendly than Vista.

HP isn't confirming the report, but had previously been open about the formation of a new group within its Labs that developed the touchscreen technology and special software used in its TouchSmart PC. The software lets users get around certain features of Vista to complete certain multimedia tasks more easily.

Phil McKinney, chief technology officer of HP's Personal Systems Group, did not deny the company is looking into it, but said it didn't make much sense to build its own operating system. "Is HP funding a huge R&D team to go off and create an operating system? [That] makes no sense," he told BusinessWeek.

HP is the world's leading purveyor of Microsoft software, through the approximately 50 million PCs the company ships around the globe each year. The article also points out Intel's recent support for netbooks, mini-notebooks that use its Atom processor and run Linux, and Dell's decision to offer Linux as a Windows alternative on some of its PCs.

HP, Intel and Dell are not the only companies offering Linux and Windows on a single machine. Asus makes a motherboard called P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi-AP. It allows a PC to boot directly to Windows or any other operating system installed on the hard disk. This alternative operating system, provided by DeviceVM to Asus, is another way to do an end-run around Windows.

Whether Windows's dominance is in any danger of disappearing, Microsoft has already begun to fight back. Last week it rolled out the beginnings of a high-profile and expensive ad campaign starring its co-founder Bill Gates and comedian Jerry Seinfeld.

Original Link: http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,1000 ... 203,00.htm

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:54 pm 
♥Prinny♥
♥Prinny♥

As long as I can run my games and some of my other programs on it, I wouldn't mind sticking a finger in Microsoft's eye, especially if it's a more stable operating system.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:49 pm 
The perma-noob

IGNs: Main: Nymphadoratonks
Mule: Liltonkatruck
/sigh

I thought this topic was about harry potter at first.

Pwnd.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:53 pm 
The Incredible Edible Zephie!

It is for this reason that you are known as the Perma-noob, Nymphadora. =3

Also, I TOTALLY AGREE WITH HP ON THIS ONE.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:04 am 
Melee WHM master

IGNs: Main - Dude
Mules - Deathfromabove, Pieisawsome, Dudette, Minidude, Dudewheresmycar, and Dudesmule
I heard about this from my Programming teacher its supposedly for faster web browsing / loading times for just checking email etc and the computers would still have windows on it for gaming / other higher end programs

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:21 pm 

IGNs: Akamahou - Red Magic
I can't wait, I can finally get rid of Vista!
Props to HP.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:57 pm 
The Incredible Edible Zephie!

THIS HAS BEEN ENDORSED BY ZEPHIE SO YOU KNOW ITS GOOD.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:11 pm 

But, but, but, it's still HP!!!!!

I dunno, I suppose I just think virtualizing my home network has allowed me to run all sort of things without any degradation to my original OS.

That is just my personal preference.