-Disposable|Heroes-

inside a whale since 2003.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:53 am 

Google has a new browser, and I love it, best browser I've ever used and it got me to dump Firefox after just 1 day of using it, everyone should at least give it a try. It loads pages super fast, and it's a much simpler and nicer look to it (imo)

Developer's Comic about it (semi-technical, but still an interesting read for those who don't get all of it)
http://www.google.com/googlebooks/chrome/

Download page:
http://www.google.com/chrome/

I haven't gone this these, but videos describing the new features:
http://www.google.com/chrome/intl/en/features.html

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:44 am 

Using it now at work incognito mode >.>

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:31 pm 

lol nice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:54 pm 
Melee WHM master

IGNs: Main - Dude
Mules - Deathfromabove, Pieisawsome, Dudette, Minidude, Dudewheresmycar, and Dudesmule
does it have script block plugins and ffxi toolbars? if not i doubt i will leave firefox for it

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:28 pm 

Dude wrote:
does it have script block plugins and ffxi toolbars? if not i doubt i will leave firefox for it

Not yet, and no, in that order. It DOES have an open API so there will be plugins in the future, and plugins noscript and adblock are the 2 in highest demand from what I've read so far. More obscure things like the FFXI toolbar probably won't make the journey over, unless someone is really compelled to make it compatable on their own.

I think it will be great once it gets rolling.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:37 am 

The only plugin I'll miss personally is IETab for pesky sites that don't load properly, but those are rare and I'm willing to pop up another browser for them, but everyone has their own preference. The slick new UI, way fast loading, and the ability to stop a plugin or tab that's freezing instead of crashing the whole browser is what sold me. There's been a site or two that's looked weird so far and I've been reporting them to google as I see them

Oh, and kinda a "that's cool" thing is you can resize multi-line text boxes (like this one I'm typing in right now). It doesn't work properly on all sites (it does on this one) because some will let you resize off the visable screen and thus can't resize it back, but it's no biggie for me

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:25 pm 

I personally like it, but I am like Mikey, "I will try and test everything."

It is pretty slick for a beta, and Google hasn't wronged me with Google Apps, or anything else, so I look forward to what this will bring about.

On a side note, the browser looks and feels similar to Safari in my opinion.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:40 pm 

It's built on Webkit (think that's what it's called) so the rendering engine should be the same as Safari as well. In fact they pretty much say if a site doesn't work properly in chrome and it doesn't work properly in safari either then report it to webkit not google :p

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:42 am 
Maiden of many mules

What annoys me the most is I can see ads again, while I had those blocked on Firefox - until they add adblock plus + noscript I am not going to use Chrome - because those ads usually contains virus/key loggers. <.< Firefox 3 is a bit annoying for my desktop - it's pretty heavy on my system - 4 year old pc ;( I have no issues with firefox 3 on my laptop though - Another alt browser would be Opera, which is pretty good also :)

Google seems to be doing a lot of stuff lately... I wonder what the next thing from them will be. Google anti-virus!? Google - Internet Securities!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:04 am 

Regarding Noscript they have it pretty secure, each tab is its own process and they're not allowed access to other processes or your computer etc. As far as ads being annoying, yeah that'll have to wait till someone else writes a plugin, Google sure isn't gonna do it themselves, their money is based off selling ads to people/companies :p

http://www.google.com/googlebooks/chrom ... ll&page=26