-Disposable|Heroes-

inside a whale since 2003.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: FFXI on a Netbook?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:00 pm 
Tarutaru Murder Suspect

IGNs: Floressa, Yururu, Cheetah, Donorise
If you aren't aware about netbooks, they are miniaturized notebooks that cost less and are built primarily for web surfing.

I hear that there are netbooks that have nvidia graphics now?

http://www.nvidia.com/object/io_1229608554532.html

Just your thoughts on ffxi and netbooks would be appreciated.

Here are some links that discuss the topic.

http://www.zam.com/forum.html?forum=10;mid=1231096280240967988

http://buttons-tarutaru.blogspot.com/2009/08/ffxi-and-netbooks.html

EDIT: Very recent info on the "next-gen ION netbook graphics processor"
http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=7515

Post subject: Re: FFXI on a Netbook?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:38 pm 
Maiden of many mules

Personally I don't like playing games on a laptop, it gets very hot and sometimes so hot you can't have your hands on the keyboard. Depending on the keyboard you get with the laptop, you may want to consider buying an wireless keyboard or something for gaming, because it really sucks to use the laptop one... I have played ff11 on my laptop, and I still do it sometimes, but after 2-3 hours I get worried that it may overheat or something, so I turn it off again.

Another thing is laptops are quite expensive if you wanna get a decent one, where custom build pcs are cheaper and bigger than the laptop ones. Also it's hard to update a laptop and it gets old very fast. In a desktop you can update and replace stuff without much issue.

That's just my opinion about it. I prefer a desktop over a laptop anytime

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:30 pm 

I have a netbook.

I have played FFXI on said netbook.

Said playing of said FFXI on said netbook was not an altogether pleasant experience.

I had settings at the lowest possible, I had the resolution at 800x600, fullscreened and preserved aspect ratio. (this allowed the minimum resolution, and didn't strech the image, which would cause a little more load on the system)

I got about 8 fps in my mog house, 3-5 fps elsewhere. Menus were very laggy, and macros were a bit delayed.

What you may not know is I have done this during DH limbus runs, and it still DID work. It would absolutly 100% under no circumstances be my primary and only form of playing if you value not having a headache forever.

THAT SAID.

My netbook has the standard intel integrated graphics. If you get a book with the ION graphics (which I think are paired with a faster clocked atom processor now) and 2 gigs of ram, it should be SIGNIFICANTLY more playable.

A lot of the netbooks that are going to have ION graphics are going to be 'premium' netbooks (an oxymoron, if you ask me) and start to cost a lot more. When they get up to $500 you have to start asking what you really need the device for. If you really need the versatility of a netbook, then go ahead. But if a bigger "regular" notebook suits you just fine, you can get something a lot more capable for about the same price. And when you compare what $500 can buy you if you are just building a regular tower (assuming you don't need to buy new monitor speakers keyboard and mouse, so it might not be a fair comparison) you really should question how valuable portability is for you.

I bought a new laptop a few months ago. I'm mostly satisfied with it. But I do know if I had chosen to build a new computer from the ground up, not only could I have put the exact same parts in it, AND bought a nice new high def monitor (which I would have needed since I blew up my last monitor), AND a new desk (which I would have needed) AND a new computer chair (which I would have needed, since it was broken) AND probably had money left over, AND could have slept soundly knowing that I could upgrade it next year if I felt like I needed to. With the notebook, I won't be able to upgrade a lot of it, and what I can upgrade is likely to again, cost more than the same desktop parts. On the flipside, I don't NEED the new monitor, desk, chair. I can do it wherever I want. On the flipside again though, sometimes it IS nice to be able to sit down at a computer desk and just do something, be it work or play. Sometimes doing stuff on a laptop feels "wishy-washy", it's hard to describe i guess.

Anyway, I just ranted about a ton of stuff that you didn't really ask about. But you read it anyway, didn't you?

FFXI is technically playable on a notebook. I don't know what your current computer actually is, but I don't imagine it plays it any better than that, and you'll be stuck with a small screen and cramped keyboard, if the benefits still outweigh the cons, then you might want to check it out, but I would actually recommend against it, especially because I'm still convinced I can get you to get the hardware needed and play FFXIV with me =/

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:51 am 
Tarutaru Murder Suspect

I for one skipped the rant part.

Thanks for the explanation Zyn. I think that having the ability to compute away from the chair is a big plus, having it play ffxi would even be a bigger plus. :o

You're right on many points though zyn. hmm value.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:55 am 

need to buy a keyboard still, compact isnt happy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:00 pm 

I've tried to get FFXI running on my netbook. I ran the benchmark program and got a passable score, but probably something close to along the same FPS as what Zyn is reporting.

Problem I have is that I do not have disc tray at all in the netbook, and since the copy of FFXI i have is disc, I have not been able to install.

I knew it would not work because I know there are registry keys involved, but when I played wow, I was able to just copy all of the WoW files onto a portable hard drive, and move it to my netbook from there and it worked fine. Tried this with FFXI and had no luck however.

Does anyone know a way I can get this to work?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:40 pm 
Tarutaru Murder Suspect

For senyoku

1. You can purchase/download the game from the internets now.

2. I would also try to make images of the final fantasy install cds, sending them over your network to the netbook and then using a program such as Daemon Tools (free prog I remember) to mount the images (trick your netbook into thinking ts running off a cd)

That's all I got for now.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:21 pm 

Thanks Derz. I'll have to give those a try.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 1:59 pm 
Tarutaru Murder Suspect

Another thread on allakhazam about this:

http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/forum.html?forum=10&mid=1273947614186965050&page=1